Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Snowshoes on order

I haven't been writing much because I haven't been running much. I have a bunch of excuses but the results are the same - not much running. I have been working out, boot camp, yoga and regular exercise class. Winter is a time to relax and do other things, right?

As for running, what little I've done has been running on snowshoes. My snowshoes are early 1990's vintage Redfeathers and I still like them. The bindings are no longer made with the toe covers. The decking seams are starting to come apart.

I want a small snowshoe to replace my 25" Redfeathers. Not that I race in them but as long as the trail is somewhat groomed, the smaller ones do OK and I don't kick my anklebones as much. I searched the internet looking for reviews of snowshoes - there aren't all that many. The ones on the Minnesota DRS list are as helpful as the ones I found.

I went to REI on Wednesday to buy the Atlas 1027 Elektra. They were out of stock.

I went back to the web, looked at the Redfeathers again. The review said the binding were sometimes a problem.

So I looked at Northern Lites http://www.northernlites.com/. Tom & Nancy have them and they like them. DRS people like them. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. I ordered a pair of the Elite. Good news, in a week I should have a new pair of snowshoes. Hope these last as long as my Redfeathers.